Background

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

1, 2, 3, 4....I Declare Designer Sunglass War

The sun is starting to come out on a consistent basis, and I'm excited to blog about summer accessories! Today, I launch an epic battle against designer sunglasses. I am hard pressed to find a pair that are truly splurge-worthy. DON'T DO IT.

A) I always lose or break my sunglasses. The more expensive they are the more I break them.
B) Some days I want to be a rockstar, sometimes I feel like a socialite, sometimes I feel like pilot, sometimes I want to re-live the 50's--and gosh darnet I should have a pair of sunglasses for all of those moods.
C) Outrageous sunglasses are fun! And for every pair of designer glasses out there, I can find one I like more for less. Some of the best pairs of aviator glasses reside in your local gas station. When I buy expensive sunglasses, I end up buying pretty basic ones, because I feel like I have to wear them every day to justify how much I'm spending, but then I'm bored with myself and my accessories. Everyone loses.

I remember in 2005, I bought my first legit pair of Paul Smith superstar glasses, and I was crushed when they broke for no good reason. Then I got some Chanel aviators...the lens fell out:(

I got these from Urban Outfitters. I'm often asked, "Who's sunglasses are those?!?!" Well Ms. Inquisitive Stranger, they're from the random designer of no one in particular. And yes, they do look pretty legit. I lost them in Thailand and I was pretty bummed...so when I got back to the States I went right back to the store and bought another pair (because they were only $10!!). I also suggest Filene's Basement or Marshall's for some great sunglass finds as well.

If I had to splurge on one designer, maybe it would be Ray-Bans. But if I do I promise to get fun ones, like these!!!

There are an array of very fun colors and styles and they retail at ~$135 so you can experiment without feeling too bad about it.
So join with me in ditching the designer duds this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment